Thursday, August 02, 2007

Wow - it worked

I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. In a nice way.

Having done all the heavy development work (coding, refactoring, unit testing etc.) for the new SkillsBase version in the superb VisualWorks Smalltalk environment, I reached the point today where I needed to move the code over to the runtime environment which is GemStone.

I have a small set of tools to help me, the main one being the Sport portability library. Lesser tools include utilities for compiling all the code from VisualWorks into GemStone. So, with one button press all the code flies into GemStone. Then comes the testing.

This is the surprising bit. It all worked right away :-) I know this is how things ought to be in theory, but it's nice to work with tools that mean that that this can happen in practice.

Time for a beer .

No comments: